Running Balance to date: $413
Talked to the nurse about ordering medications and asked if the office knew any pharmacies offering discounts or promotions that would apply to us. In my research I had learned many states or organizations offer discounts, promotions or grants for couples seeking aid in covering the costs of IVF and the medications that go along with IVF. In my research your best bet is to ask the office itself, they usually know anything current, local or special programs you may qualify for. She referred us to the “First Steps” program, which I had not come across during my research.
First Steps offers many discounts and a “hardship” program for families in need. To apply for the Hardship Program you have to submit a written story and request which is then evaluated by one of their staff and then your percentage of the discount offered is sent to you via email.
First Steps also offers a 25% DISCOUNT for all serving military families or veterans. My husband served in The United States Army (thank you Husband) so thankfully we qualified for this discount.
Our email from First Steps was a very welcomed one!
“We have reviewed the supporting documentation you provided, and you have been accepted for an additional 25% off your Follistim, Ganirelix and Pregnyl prescriptions.”
The cost of medications vary so much depending on each person but in 2014 Forbes published that the average IVF medication costs were between $3,000 to $5,000 for one cycle. THIS is almost a “hidden cost” to IVF because you walk out of your IVF consult with a price point in hand for their office….this price point is BEFORE medications! One thing they don’t stress upon too much. So if you can just afford the costs of IVF you will be sadly disappointed when you go to order your meds.
First Steps Program Details:
The First Steps program takes into consideration household income and hardship cases to provide eligible patients with a 5%, 25%, 50%, or 75% discount off their fertility drug cost.
- Discounts are reserved for 100% cash pay patients only
- Discounts will be applied to the DesignRx cash price at participating DesignRx pharmacies
- Discounts cannot be combined with any other rebate, coupon, free trial, or similar offer
- Discounts are valid for up to one year from the date they were initially approved
- Eligible patients will receive an approval email with specific instructions on how to redeem discounts
- Patients not qualifying for a discount will still be eligible for DesignRx pricing at DesignRx pharmacies only
- DesignRx pricing alone is consistently 30% lower than current retail pricing
Discounts will be applied to the following medications only
- Follistim AQ Cartridge (follitropin beta injection) – 300IU, 600IU, or 900IU
- Ganirelix Acetate Injection
- Pregnyl (chorionic gonadotropin for injection, USP)
- Learn more about these fertility medications, including important safety information
I hope this info comes in handy for someone else, it took a lot of research to even find discount/grants options available!
Next Post: “9/14/15 Drugs, Drugs, Drugs”